Saturday, November 21, 2009

Hello Everyone! This is Jordan.


We taught the pastors on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Word got out on what we were teaching, so we also taught a group of schoolteachers on Wednesday and a group on Thursday!!

We have another 2 teaching assignments next week, besides again teaching the Pastors Monday, Wednesday, and Friday!!

I am still teaching school to Bradyn each morning. That is going really well and has been lots of fun.

Please pray for her, as she is suffering from a fevor and neck pain.

Every afternoon, we play games with the girls. I don't know how many times I have played the card game Rat a Tat Cat. We are now making up our own rules. Whenever I sit down to play, I have 1 or 2 girls asking to brush and plait (braid) my hair! I don't mind as it is very relaxing for me to have my hair played with.

The orphanages are still a mix of joy and sadness for me. It is so nice to know that I am touching a life, even if it seems as if a few minutes wouldn't do much to help them. The kids are so adorable and ... well, I would take them all if I could. It is so hard though to see and know that most of them will never have the joy of having a family. Also, several of the babies each week are hot to the touch.

One girl is blind in one eye. At least one child is hydrocephalic (sp), several of the babies usually have a fever. One little child came to the orphanage so malnurished that he was just skin and bones. When we went back the next time, we were told by some people that he had died and by some other people that he was in the hospital, so we aren't quite sure what happened to him. Most of the kids come to the orphanage malnurished. I was holding one boy and he couldn't stand at all. I was thinking by his size that he was about 5-6 months old and by his strength that he was 2 months old. He opened his mouth and I saw at least one tooth. So, he could have been 5-6 months like I guessed, but even if he was only that old, his strength sure didn't match his age. Most of the kids follow this description....they just seem really small or weak compared to what they should be at their age.


I can't believe how fast time is going!! Uncle Steve has been taking us out to see a new part of the city each day. It is amazing how different it is here then in the bush!!

One of the differences here is that there are compounds- really poor, dirty, stinky places- alongside the middle class Africans. The middle class here is probably equal to the low class Americans, but still very rich compared to the poor.

Another difference is that here, like where the Allens and other missionaries live, the houses are surrounded by brick walls and electric fence. There are big tall gates that block the driveway and have to be opened from the inside. Then inside the houses there are big iron gates that can be pad-locked.

There is boxed milk here. Cheese that is cut in slices and packaged.
This is just a start, but I have to go eat dinner and I wanted to get this posted! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment