Thursday, October 29, 2009

Yea!! An update!! Mom is happy!!

It is so great to hear from them, it has been 5 days with no contact which was wearing on my heart. It made me think about how just a short time ago when you would
stand at the dock and wave good-by to your dear ones knowing that it would be months or years before you heard anything from them and there was the great possibility that you may never hear from them again at all. So, I thank God that I only waited five days. Corbin wrote the following. In Him, Shannon

For those of you who have not heard, Jordan and Corbin's return date was moved from November 17th to December 2nd! They just can't get enough! Another change is that we will not pick them up in Seattle. They will fly into Seattle and two hours later catch a flight for Salt Lake City. The rest of us will drive to Salt Lake and pick them up the night of the 3rd at 9:45 pm. This is so that we may attend my brother's wedding on December the 5th. Pray that Jordan and Corbin will be able to stand upright :-) Shannon

Hello

We got back to the Bentons yesterday. It is good to be back. There is so much to write.
I really enjoy Uncle Ted. He is so adventuresome, comes up with great new ideas, and is willing to follow God wherever He leads. Jordan and I went up to their place today to watch him pull teeth. It looks like you would need some guts to do this work, but what I think is amazing is that when Uncle Ted moved here he told God that he would do anything God showed him to do as long as God provided the materials. And in a year, Uncle Ted had the equipment and was pulling teeth! Wow. I hope that I have that much willingness to do whatever God asks. Uncle Mike and Uncle Ted are talking about starting an orchard. Uncle Ted wants to sell bee suits and bee hives. I wish that I could live here and help them. Don't worry, Mom, I am coming back. I am so glad how it worked out that we will fly right on to Salt Lake. I am glad that we won't miss the wedding! Are all of you going to the wedding? Why isn't Uncle Steve going? Is great Grandma Beglinger and Anger going to be there? What about any Allens? I sure hope so.
Miss Brook told Jordan and I about reverse-culture shock when we go back to America. It can be even worse than culture shock when you come to Africa. I didn't know that it existed. We probably won't get it as bad because we are here on a short term mission trip and it will be a good transition for us when we go to Lusaka. I hope that you understand and are not concerned. I don't know what it will be like for me as I didn't have any culture shock coming here and we are close with our family and have a close circle of friends in America.

I realized something today and talked to the Bentons about it. That is that in America the Christians have so much focus on Bible studies and conferences. We seem to think that they will make us more "godly", but even they are a self focus. There is some ministry and outward focus but not even close to the amount of 'me' focus. There are those verses about having godly character and studying to show thyself approved, but there is also those about serving others. Here, so much is focused on others. I don't have it all figured out and maybe never will. But these are some of my thoughts right now.

The time is going so fast! I am not looking forward to leaving the Bentons but can't wait to see the Allens. We will spend about 3 days with the Moyers. The Allens are picking us up on the 10th. Aunt Terese Says that I will enjoy Mrs. Moyer. She is a real fire-ball.

I don't know if you heard, Savy broke her arm the same day that Zack broke his leg! Savy is the Rabanold's youngest girl. Is was a minor break.
Here in the valley, it is hotter than up top at the Sherman's. It got up to about 100 degrees today! It is 85 right now inside at 10:30 P.M.! I still like the heat more than the cold!! What temperature is it up there?
I love you all lots

Corbin


I think that you learned the most important thing when you saw the focus on service. Isn't that what Christ's life was all about ..... dying for others!!!!
In His matchless love,
Mom






--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3 comments:

  1. Christ came to serve, not be served; definitely a missing component of the Church today. It we be a blessing to see how God translates that principle in your life; wherever He takes you.

    Some people say following Christ will make your life boring! But following Christ is the greatest adventure you will ever have. Like DL Moody said; God is looking for men & women that are totally devoted to Him. And then we had better hold on, because He will use that individual to the uttermost.

    Still Praying for you.

    Blessings,
    Jeremy Lyerla

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey you 2!
    It was so good to here from you!
    God is so good isn't He? Corbin, maybe you'll be able to go back & help with the orchard!?!

    May God bless you both as you seek His Will & serve Him with all your hearts.
    Love & prayers,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praise the Lord! Pulling teeth and killing cobras??? lol
    Miss you Jord!!


    Lauren

    ReplyDelete